teaching, learning & assessment
enhance student engagement and learning
The Teaching@UQ Program
|Start Date||Start - End Time||Venue||Places Taken|
|1/02/2021||9:00 AM - 1:30 PM||Multiple Locations||23 of 75||Register|
Duration: 15 hours
Coordinator: Ms Yvette Lynch
Presenter: Mr Dom Mcgrath
The Teaching@UQ Program runs over four non-consecutive days (four x four hour sessions) and includes a range of activities outside these face-to-face workshops.
The Teaching@UQ Program prepares academic staff new to UQ for teaching and learning.
The program is grounded in good practices that define effective learning environments whilst being contextualised within faculties to ensure relevance and implemented to foster social teaching networks amongst new academics. Teaching@UQ is an important component of induction and staff development - the gateway to teaching professionalism, innovation and excellence at UQ.
Teaching@UQ is designed by academics for academics with facilitators from several faculties teaching in partnership with colleagues from the UQ's Institute for Teaching & Learning Innovation (ITaLI).
The Program is structured around four face-to-face non-consecutive sessions spread across the semester, each four hours in length including lunch. An online learning environment hosted in the University's learning management system, Blackboard, supports face-to-face sessions. This models UQ's blended learning approach.
The program is supplemented with specialised workshops and a peer observation process providing personalised feedback to all participants.
This program is designed for academic staff new to UQ and is designed to support such academics as they are teaching across the semester, across four face-to-face workshops supported by additional activities. This program is not designed for RHD students or tutors.
This course will enable participants to:
1. Explore professional expectations for teaching at UQ
2. Engage in effective course and assessment design practices to enhance student learning
3. Connect with a network of teaching colleagues to support ongoing professional practices.
This course is facilitated by staff from across UQ including: Professor Julie Duck, Professor Peter Adams, Associate Professor Kelly Matthews, Professor Lydia Kavanagh, Associate Professor Gwen Lawrie, Dom McGrath.
The first iteration will run on the following dates and times:
• Session #1 – 1/02/2021 - 9:30 - 13:30 - Room 202 & Room 202a, Learning Innovation Buildling #17, St Lucia campus
• Session #2 – 3/02/2021 - 9:30 - 12:30 - zoom (coordinator will email Zoom details)
• Session #3 – 7/04/2021 - 09:00 - 13:00 - Room 202 & Room 202a, Learning Innovation Buildling #17, St Lucia campus & zoom (coordinator will email Zoom details)
• Session #4 – 7/05/2021 - 09:00 - 13:00 - zoom (coordinator will email Zoom details)
Please note: the Zoom link details will be emailed to enrolees by the coordinator a day or two prior to course commencement.
More information about the program is available at: https://itali.uq.edu.au/professional-learning/new-teachers-and-tutors/teaching-at-uq