teaching, learning & assessment
enhance student engagement and learning
Social Media for Teaching & Learning
|Start Date||Start - End Time||Venue||Places Taken|
Duration: 2 hours
Coordinator: Dr Deanne Gannaway
Presenter: Ms Anthea Groessler
This is an introductory course to explore ways in which social media tools can be used to support a range of teaching and learning activities to enhance student engagement.
Participants will have the opportunity to design a learning activity using a social media tool (e.g. FaceBook, VoiceThread, Twitter, Padlet) and to consider how such tools might be integrated into overall approaches to teaching and learning.
This course will enable participants to:
1. Discuss the pedagogical reasons for using social media tools
2. Discuss the challenges and benefits of using social media in teaching and learning
3. Explore examples of how social media tools are being used in different disciplinary contexts
4. Explore the functions and features of particular tools that can support teaching and learning objectives
5. Design an activity using a social media tool
6. Explore resources to support social media tools for teaching and learning.
As part of Professional Learning at UQ, ITaLI have developed additional resources to support our workshops. These resources are self-paced and have been designed to encourage participant learning, and provide opportunities for further development in the workshop topic.
To access the Professional Learning site, simply: