ohs & sustainability
manage the risks and responsibilities of working in the UQ environment
First Aid management of Anaphylaxis/Asthma
|Start Date||Start - End Time||Venue||Places Taken|
Duration: 3 hours
Coordinator: Mrs Kylie Middleton
Presenter: Mrs Fiona Coulthard
This course provides extended training for current First Aid Officers to enable them to recognise and provide first aid management for someone with anaphylaxis or experiencing a severe asthmatic event.
First Aid Officers will gain the following statement of attendance.
1. First aid Management of Anaphylaxis
2. Emergency Management of Asthma in the Workplace
This course will enable participants to:
- Distinguish between a mild to moderate allergic reaction and anaphylaxis
- Understand common triggers for anaphylaxis and asthma
- Recognise signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis and asthma
- Provide preventative measures
- Understand how to administer an Epipen
- Understand how to administer an Anapen
- Understand how to administer a reliever inhaler
- Understand action plans for asthma.
This course is funded by the University Staff Development Program. Preference will be given to approved First Aid Officers, appointed in accordance with PPL 5.50.11- Appointment of First Aid Officers.
A UQ Nominated First Aid Officer is a member of staff who is a first aider and has been nominated by Head of School or Section to receive a fortnightly allowance payment for performing the role of First Aid Officer for a specified University workplace. See section 9 of the UQ PPL 2.60.20 First Aid Guideline for further clarification.
For course registration please download the attached Expression of Interest Form by selecting 'register' via the blue button above. Forward completed applications to the OHS Division at email@example.com at least one week prior to course commencement. The OHS Division will advise you if your application has been successful or unsuccessful prior to course.